The most interesting cat facts you did not know about
For example, did you know that cats can eat your soul if you stare at them for too long? Pretty much like red heads. Ok, maybe not that but there are some cool cat facts and we want to share them with you.
Cool cat facts
- Cats can drink seawater. These felines are equipped with kidneys that can filter out the salt from water. This does not explain why they like water from the toilet, though.
- They cannot taste sugar. Scientists believe that cats developed a mutation that suppresses a key receptor to sweet flavors. No cat will ever know the joy of ice cream.
- Baby cats are called kittens. Yes, we know you knew that. You probably also knew that a male cat is a tom. Did you know a female cat is also known as a molly or queen? A group of cats is called a clowder.
- Cats can hear the ultrasonic noises that mice make to communicate. They can also perceive the noises done by dolphins. So they can actually hear a dolphin approaching.
- That useful cat flap on your door to let your cat go in and out? It was invented by Isaac Newton which usually found his cat Spithead opening the door and spoiling his light experiments.
- Speaking of scientists, you know what inspired Tesla to investigate electricity? Yep, you guessed it. His cat Macak gave him a static shock once. So you have Macak to thank for alternate current.
- A kitten needs to sleep a lot because that is the only time that their bodies release growth hormone. Adult cats do not need to sleep. They do it because they can.
- They are not really good listeners. The more you talk to them, the more they will meow and chirrup. Well, they got things to say too!
Cat facts that you probably already knew
These are some few cat facts that you probably already have in your knowledge. But it is not a bad idea to remember them.
- Cats sweat through their paws.
- There are well over 500 million domestic cats in the world.
- Cats sleep an average of 13 to 14 hours a day. This means that if you have a 10-year old cat, he has been awake only like four years of those.
- They have good hearing and a powerful sense of smell.
- Cats can live 12 to 15 years.
Do you want to learn great tips about how to better care for your cat? In Dogalize we have what you need and more. Visit us and check out all the amazing resources we have for you.