The top Therapy Dogs breeds
Therapy dogs are trained to provide comfort and ease to people who have special emotional or medicals or are going through hard times. They work in therapy homes, hospitals, nursing homes, schools, retiring homes, etc. People with special needs such autism benefit themselves from them.
It is important to note the therapy dogs are not service or assistant dogs but can be used as such, depending on the organization. Therapy dogs do their jobs just by being there, they do not perform any task. Technically, any dog can make a good therapy dog. However, some breeds are used more than others. This has to do with trainability and personality. Let´s take a look at the top therapy dogs out there.
- Labrador Retriever. These dogs are very gentle and nice with people. They are nice to people and, when trained properly, they can make great companions. This mellow nature and beautiful poise make the Labrador Retriever a very popular breed in the US.
- Golden Retriever. The great thing that makes Golden Retriever good therapy dogs is that they are always nice to new people. It’s like he knows everybody and has never met a stranger in his life.
- Greyhound. Traditionally, you do not think of this breed as a companion but, instead, as a racer. But this dog has a very calm nature, does not bark, and likes to cuddle up in bed with you.
- German Shepherd. Therapy is only one of the many jobs that this dog has serviced humans in for decades. Their gentleness and loyalty make them excellent therapy dogs.
- Beagle. These dogs with the characteristic black, brown, and white coat are very friendly with new people. That and his active and entertaining make them great therapy dogs.
- Rottweiler. This is not one you expect on such list, especially after knowing they are a pretty dangerous breed. But the truth is that, they are actually incredibly nice and gente.
Stay in touch with us and visit us here in Dogalize. We are sure you will love the updated information, news, and tips and tricks necessary to keep you pet in shape.