Important considerations when buying dog diapers
First, you need to decide if you will use human diapers or diapers designed specifically for dogs. If you are going for the first one, which is the more economic one, you will need to make a hole in them.
Also, some owners have reported that they have better results when they use human diapers upside down. This means that instead of placing the adhesive part to go against the tummy, they go against the back.
If you go for a human diaper, make sure it does not pinch your dog. Try the Pampers or Huggies Snuggies which have an elastic waistband. Once you place it, do not put it too tight. Make sure you can snuggle three fingers inside your dog´s diaper once it is on.
Choose the right type
There are usually three types of dog diapers out there. Choose the one that best fits your dog.
- Belly bands are a band that you wrap around male dogs to catch urine. They are very useful if you have a dog that likes to mark territory around your house.
- Full diapers are like human diapers except that they come with a hole for the tail.
- The harness type has suspenders which ensure that the diaper fits snuggly.
How to use dog diapers
When selecting dog diapers, make sure they have a good absorption level for your dog.
Change the diaper frequently to prevent diaper rash. Also, your dog might feel uncomfortable on a wet diaper.
Use gloves when changing the diaper so that you don´t come in contact with urine or feces.
When to use dog diapers
There are several reasons for dogs to use a diaper:
- Urinary incontinence. This is not a behavior problem. It could actually be caused by an infection, weak sphincter muscle, bladder issues, or diabetes. Elder dogs might lose control of their sphincters due to aging.
- Training. Despite using a diaper to protect your home, you should still take your dog outside so that he learns where it is that he has to relieve himself. Otherwise, dog diapers will become a part of your daily life.
- Female dogs in heat. These are used to protect your furniture, upholstery, and carpets from getting blood in them. They could also protect dogs from licking the area. They should not be used as a contraceptive method as a male dog will most likely find a way around the diaper.
In Dogalize, we have many resources for you and your dog. Everything there is to know about how to best take care of your four-legged friends, you will find here. Visit us to learn more.