The easiest thing to assess from dog poop is probably diarrhea. But there are other health problems that can be detected from your pet´s stool. If you see something suspicious, you should take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.
What Color Should Dog Poop Have?
The normal color of dog poop is a chocolate-brown coloration. This coloration is caused by bile, which is a substance that the gallbladder releases to help in the digestion of food. Specifically, bilirubin, a pigment in bile, is what gives feces their normal coloration.
This color can have some different tones that can be caused by hydration, diets, or a pigment in any of their food. However, the difference should not be too dramatic.
Some patterns that indicate an alert are:
- Red streaks indicate bleeding in the lower digestive tube.
- Black stool can be caused by bleeding in the upper part of the digestive tract.
- Grey or yellow stool can be an indicator of a health problem with the liver, pancreas, or gallbladder.
What Should Dog Poop Look Like?
Now let´s talk about consistency and content. Veterinarians use a scale to score the consistency of dog poop. The scale goes from 1 to 7, where 1 is a solid, dry stool, and 7 is a puddle. Ideally, a stool should be a 2. This feces is soft and feels like play dough. It does not melt to the grass when picked up and has a firm consistency.
When it comes to content, you might want to leave that to a veterinarian clinic staff. But if you are determined enough, you should know that the only way of knowing what is inside a stool is to dissect it. Some abnormalities that you might find inside are:
- Big lumps of fur indicate an overgrooming which indicate allergies, stress, and even boredom.
- Strange objects can go from a piece of a Ziploc to a match.
- Long and skinny worms. Now, keep in mind that this stool has been out in the field and worms may have come after.
When to go to the Vet
Whenever you notice a dramatic change in your dog feces’ coloration, you should go to the vet. Don´t forget to bring a stool sample with you.
If you are interested in knowing more about your dog’s overall health and care, then you will love us! Here in Dogalize we have everything you need to know about your pooch and how to become the dog owner they deserve. Visit us to learn more.