This is definitively a blast from the past for those who were children during the late 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and even 1990s. Top Cat was an American animated series that ran from September 27, 1961, to April 18, 1962. It ran 30 episodes on ABC.
So, this show is probably older than you remember. Today, we take a look at this show that, despite being rather short, was the delight of several generations.
About Top Cat
The lead character, Top Cat, is the leader of a gang of alley cats in Manhattan. These cats are constantly on the look for making an easy buck. Sometimes through scams. The show also runs around the local beat cop, Charles “Charlie” Dibble, who is constantly and ineffectively trying to kick them out of the alley.
Top Cat was produced by Hannah-Barbera studios under the sponsorship of Kellog’s and Bristol-Myers. This 1960s show was inspired by 1940s “East Side Kids”. However, deeper roots are found from The Phil Silvers Show, a military comedy from the 1950s.
There are other influences that include Hannah Barbera’s “Huckleberry Finn” and “Guys and Dolls”. These movies have influenced the scammy characteristics of Top Cat and his gang as well as the tactics they use to get some easy money.
There are actually many characters that appear in the show, but we will focus on the main characters only.
- Top Cat (or simply T.C.) is the charismatic, yellow-furred leader of the gang.
- Benny the Ball is blue-colored and wears a one-button sports jacket.
- Choo-choo is a pink cat with a turtleneck. He is very devoted to T.C. although he usually does not know what is going on.
- Brain is an orange cat on a purple shirt with a black line. He has had at least two girlfriends but has a difficult time talking to ladies.
- Fancy-fancy is a brown cat with a white scarf. He is gentle, smart, handsome, sweet-talking, and apparently pretty devoted to T.C.
- Spook wear a torn black tie over his olive green fur. He is also a very sweet cat that overuses the word “like”.
- Officer Charlie Dibble is an officer from the New York Police Department has the task of evading Top Cat and his cat out of the alley where they stray.
There is no doubt that this show was a very nice sight to watch. These cats were stray and homeless. Fortunately, your cat at home has a place to stay and food to eat. In Dogalize we can help you with your task of taking good care of your feline companion. Visit us to learn more.