Poisonous Plants for Dogs: what are they?

Poisonous Plants for Dogs: what are they?

Poisonous Plants for Dogs

Sometimes, dog owners might find themselves in the unpleasant situation of having to deal with a pet that has been poisoned with any of the poisonous plants for dogs. The entire situation makes one panic and wonder what to do or where to go.

A question we will be addressing is how to avoid your dog from poisoning. We have a list of common poisonous plants for dogs. Make sure you are able to identify them and eliminate them from your yard if you have them.

Do not miss our posts.

Poisonous Plants for Dogs: what are they?

Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)

This one is well known to be in the infamous group of poisonous plants for dogs. These plants are tall, slender, and about 1-3 feet wide. They range in color from white to purple.

Autumn Crocus (Colchicum autumnale)

This plant will cause a painful burning sensation in a dog’s mouth. The effects include dog vomiting, dog diarrhea, seizures in dogs, heart arrhythmia in some cases, and liver and kidney damage. Most of the toxicity to dogs rests in the plant’s bulbs.

Azalea

Azaleas are flowering shrubs that bloom in the spring. A dog only needs to ingest few leaves from this shrub to suffer vomiting and diarrhea. Larger amounts will cause low blood pressure, coma, and death.

Cyclamen (Cyclamen spp)

Cyclamen contains a substance known as saponin. When ingested by dogs and cats, it will trigger drooling in dog, vomiting and diarrhea. Most of its toxicity is found in the tubers or roots. After a certain time, it can also cause arrhythmia and seizures.

Kalanchoe

Kalanchoe refers to a genus of around 125 species of flowering plants. The most common Kalanchoe is a yellow dense flower, which is toxic to dogs. It can cause vomiting and diarrhea when ingested. Heart arrhythmia can develop but in rather rare cases.

Lily (Lilium)

Consuming only a couple lilies can be fatal to a dog. The entire plant is toxic, the colchicine alkaloids are concentrated in the tuber. Lilies are among the most poisonous plants to dogs. Within hours, it can cause serious life-threatening symptoms in dogs.  Depending on the type of lily being consumed it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, kidney and liver failure, seizures, shock, and death.

Remember, if you note vomiting or diarrhea in your dog, make sure you can assess what type of toxic plant he could have consumed. Call your veterinarian immediately to get help on how to act.