Tulips and Hyacinths – Gorgeous in The Field, Lethal at Home

Tulips and Hyacinths - Gorgeous in The Field, Lethal at Home

Tulips and Hyacinths

Tulips and Hyacinths are bulbs that are usually sown together. You can see the beautiful scenery when these two are planted in the field. However, in a house, although they will look beautiful in a vase, if you have pets, they can prove a bad plan.

Tulips and Hyacinths plantations are common in cold weathers. In places where winters are not cold enough the bulbs are refrigerated six to eight weeks prior to planting.

Do not miss our posts.

Characteristics of Tulips and Hyacinths

Both of these plants belong to the Liliaceae family. Tulips are probably one of the most recognizable flowers in the world. They are usually connected with Holland as they are found everywhere. In the Northern hemisphere, the flowers bloom during Spring. They come in red, yellow, or white bright colors.

Hyacinths take pride in their deep fragrance that can permeate an entire garden. They also bloom in spring and come in a rather wide variety of colors that include white, rose, pink, cream, apricot, lavender, deep purple, blue, and red. To plant them, all you need is to dig and place the bulb during the fall to enjoy a beautiful bloom in the next spring.

Toxicity of These Plants to Dogs and Cats

The toxins present in these plants are allergenic lactones or several other similar alkaloids. These toxic substances are more concentrated in the bulbs. But the leaves and flowers are toxic as well.

The level of toxicity of these plants is considered to be from mild to moderate. Pets can suffer severe poisoning from these plants by digging out a fresh bulb and chewing on it.  This can cause some serious tissue irritation in the mouth and esophagus.

Symptoms of Toxicity in Pets

The initial symptoms of poisoning by tulips and hyacinths are a profuse salivation (drooling in dogs), vomiting, and diarrhea. It will depend on the amount ingested.

If the pet ingested a large amount of bulb, then more serious symptoms will appear. These include heart rate increase, respiration changes, and some difficulty breathing.

Contact your veterinarian or poison control center if you suspect your dog has ingested tulips or hyacinths.

In Dogalize you can find an interactive map with information of veterinarians closer to you. We also have many resources to help you take care of your pet.