Outdoor Cat House
The elements might take it rough on your outdoor cat. If you have a cat that spends most of the time outdoors or you want to provide a shelter for the neighborhood strays, check out this DIY outdoor cat house. It is actually not too hard to build and you can get it done in little time.
What You Will Need
You can have several variations of this outdoor cat house depending on the materials you have available or what you can afford. But the truth is that you do not need to break the bank for this. Here’s what you will need:
- Two nested containers. These could be carton boxes, plastic crates, or styrofoam coolers. One of them has to fit inside the other;
- A blanket or towel to act as bedding;
- Shredded paper, old clothing, or mylar blankets for insulation;
- A platform that will elevate the outdoor cat house and keep it from water to seep in and to keep it warm;
- A knife or switchblade.
How to Build your Outdoor Cat House
Now let’s get down to building the house. You can vary the instructions depending on the materials you are using.
- Cut an opening in one side of both containers making sure they line up when you have placed the insulator. Make sure the opening is big enough for a cat to fit in;
- Secure the two containers together at the entrance using duct tape;
- Place an even layer of the material selected on the bottom of the larger container and nest the smaller container inside;
- Add insulation around the outside of the smaller container until the gap between the two containers is filled;
- Put the bedding at the bottom of the smaller container and seal it closed;
- Seal the larger container closed.
In Dogalize, we got you covered with everything you need to take care of your cat. We have tips and tricks for you to become the owner your cat deserves. Visit us to learn more.