Xylitol is a naturally-occurring chemical compound that is widely used as a sugar substitute. Chemically, it is a sugar alcohol found in some fruits. Today we’ll take a look at the effects of xylitol dogs can suffer if exposed to it. But first, let us take a look at what this is and how it is used.
How is Xylitol used?
Xylitol is sold in the form of a white powder with characteristics similar to sugar. It is used for pharmaceutical products, oral care products, and as a dog food additive in some countries.
Mostly, products who claim to be sugar-free are probably adding Xylitol to still get the sweet flavor. For instance, it is found in sugar-free gum, breath mints, candies, baked goods, cough syrup, children vitamins and supplements, pudding snacks, laxatives, nasal sprays, and many more products.
Is Xylitol safe?
Xylitol is safe for humans, but if taken in large amounts or for the first time, it might have a laxative effect. This is because the digestive system needs to adapt to the chemical before learning how to digest it properly.
What about Xylitol dogs effects?
Xylitol is extremely toxic for dogs. Even a small amount of it and the effects of Xylitol dogs can experience can even lead to death. It can cause hypoglycemia, liver failure, seizures, and death.
In both humans and dogs, the amount of sugar in the blood is controlled by insulin. Xylitol does not stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin. However, it does trigger a large production of insulin in dogs, rapidly decreasing the sugar level in a dog’s blood, causing hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
These effects only take 6-10 minutes after the compound has been eaten. If not treated on time, it can lead to death.
This is only one of the reasons why you should always feed your dog certified dog food and home-made products free from preservatives, salt, and spices. Follow us here in Dogalize to learn more about products that are safe for your pet and those that are not.