Cat body language
Cats have different voices to express what they need or how they feel at any given time. As responsible cat owners, it is imperative that we also understand cat body language. This will enable us to better address our pet’s needs and become the master they deserve.
Cats use a variety of body postures, facial expression, and vocal sounds to express the way they feel and avoid confrontations. It is still not easy to interpret what kitty is trying to tell. Here’s what experts tell us on how to understand cat body language. The three main body parts a cat uses to convey a message is the tail, eyes, and ears.
Cat body language: the tail
The position of the cat tail is a great indicator of how a cat is feeling. Check for the tail signs:
- Tail up: happy cat, cheerful, and mostly approachable;
- Tail down: scared or threatened;
- Tail slowly moving back and forth: cat is trying to decipher the situation to decide how to act;
- Tail rapidly moving back and forth: nope, not a happy cat – he is not a dog, Jimmy! This means pretty much the opposite-the cat is agitated and should be left alone;
- Halloween-cat-tail: Yeah, it might look funny but if a cat has a Halloween tail, it is, indeed, scary. The cat is not in a good mood and is trying to appear bigger than what he really is.
Cat body language: the ears
- Ears straight up: the cat is alert;
- Ears forward: content or even playful;
- Ears turned sideways or to the back: the cat is nervous or anxious. Be careful not to approach this cat;
- Ears turned back: he might be feeeling irritated. It is best to leave him alone.
- Ears back and flat against the head: the cat is scared and feeling defensive.
Cat body language: the eyes
The mesmerizing eyes of a cat can offer valuable cues as to how a cat is feeling.
- Dilated pupils: cat is stimulated, surprised, or scared.
- Constricted pupils: a tense cat and probably feeling aggressive.
- Stare: this is likely a challenge, according to experts.
- Half closed: indication of a relaxed and trusting cat.
- Slow blinking: the cat is safe, comfortable, and trusts you.
Stay with us here in Dogalize and check out all the resources we have for you and your feline friend. Visit us to learn more.