Weight loss in dogs
Weight loss in dogs can be caused by either normal situations or abnormal ones. Sometimes, a dog might lose weight as a consequence of excessive training or exercising. The weight loss, in this case, is considered within the normal parameter. Clinically, weight loss is considered significant when it represents 10% or more of the dog’s normal weight.
There are some situations such as stress, environment, changes in diet or bringing a new pet to the family that can trigger some weight loss. But this does not really have any significance. If there is a 10% loss of weight and it is not associated with fluid loss or dehydration, then it must be of concern.
Causes of weight loss in dogs
The causes of weight loss in dogs are pretty varied. As a definition, we will say that weight loss is the result of poor caloric intake in relation to the body’s requirement. Some of the general causes can be:
- Maldigestion or malabsorption disorders
- Excessive physical activity or prolonged exposure to a cold environment
- Swallowing disorders or regurgitation
- Rapid loss of nutrients from diarrhea, vomiting, or excessive urination
Weigh loss in dogs can be associated with disorders in many of the animal’s organs. These are some of the signs you should be looking for to help get a better insight into what could be causing your dog’s weight loss.
- Changes in appetite (decrease or increase)
- The kind of food you are feeding your dog, how, and with what frequency.
- The place where you store your dog’s food.
- Regurgitation, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss stools.
- Changes in his water-drinking habits.
- The frequency with which you administer his heartworm preventive.
- Trouble swallowing.
- Color and consistency of your dog’s stools.
How can you treat weight loss in dogs?
The treatment that will take place is determined by the cause of your dog losing weight. Once the underlying condition causing your dog to lose weight is diagnosed, a treatment for recovery will be immediately initiated.
In Dogalize, we care about your best friend. This is why we have collected the most amazing amount of information, tips, and tricks on how to better care for your pooch. Visit us and check out all the ways in which we can help you.