Illness in dogs
There is no doubt that an illness in dogs is one stressful event for a dog and the owner. It truly breaks our heart to see our pooch not being as playful as he normally is.
We have compiled a list of dog diseases and their effect on your pet. Every type has a different course of action for treatment and prevention.
Illness in dogs: viral
Viral infections are caused by viruses and can easily be passed on from one dog to another through contact and fluids. Some of the most common are:
- Rabies in dogs – a fatal disease affecting a dog’s nervous system;
- Parvovirus in dogs – a fatal gastrointestinal disease affecting mostly puppies;
- Canine influenza – respiratory disease;
- Infectious canine hepatitis – disease affecting the liver;
- Canine coronavirus – gastorintestinal disease.
Illness in dogs: bacterial
Bacterial infections are generally easier to catch since these infections are acquired easily even from the air. The most common bacterial infections are:
- Leptospirosis in dogs – caused by a spirochaete, produces liver and kidney failure;
- Lyme disease in dogs – caused by Borrelia burgdorfer, it causes anorexia, lethargy, and acute arthritis;
- Ehrlichiosis – caused by Ehrlichia canis, its symptoms include fever, vasculitis, and low blood count;
- Clostridium – associated with C. perfringens and C. difficile, it causes diarrhea in dogs;
- Kennel cough – caused by Bordetella bronchiseptica or by one of several viruses,
Illness in dogs: fungal
Most fungal diseases affect both animals and humans, which poses a health risk for humans.
- Histoplasmosis – caused by Histoplasma capsulatum, it affects the lungs and small intestine;
- Cryptococcosis – caused by Cryptococcus neoformans, is a rare disease where the lungs, eye, skin and nervous system are affected;
- Ringworm in dogs – Three fungi are responsible for this condition that causes scaly skin and hair loss, Microsporum canis, Microsporum gypseum, and Trichophyton mentagrophytes;
- Sporotrichosis – caused by Sporothrix schenckii, is a rare disease in dogs causing nodular lesions on the head and trunk.
Illness in dogs: protozoal
Most protozoal diseases in dogs are characterized by dog diarrhea, vomiting in dogs, and weight loss in dogs. Some of them are:
- Leishmaniasis in dogs
Stay with us here in Dogalize and take advantage of all the info and resources we have for you. Updated notes and a ton of resources await. Visit us to learn more.