Dog shock collar – A dog shock collar is a device that sends some click and electric shock to a dog to signal something. They are used to help train a dog (dog training). It works with batteries and it is intended to give the dog a small shock whenever he engages in unwanted behavior to deter him from repeating such action.
At some point, its use has been a topic of debate. But if you find yourself in the need of using a dog shock collar, you must understand that there is a rather thin line between using it for training and being merely inhumane.
The collar is intended to help you train the dog positively by summoning commands even if he can´t see or hear you.
Advocates of The Dog Shock Collar
Dog shock collar – Those who favor the use of the collar state that the electric pulse is pretty tiny and it does not hurt the dog, it merely causes a little discomfort. They also argue that the collar can give the dog more freedom as the owner no longer needs to carry the dog on a leash.
There is also a debate on what kind of dogs should use a dog shock collar. Many believe that this should only be used for dogs with behavior problems.
Arguments Against The Dog Shock Collar
Dog shock collar – Those that stand against the collar state that there is a high chance of misusing and abusing it. Just imagine if a playing toddler grabs one accidentally.
Also, those who oppose it argue that there are other methods of training that are equally effective.
Tips to use it Properly
Dog shock collar – If you have chosen this method to train your dog, you must use it responsibly and remember that its purpose is to train the dog, never to punish him.
- Read the instructions carefully before putting it on your dog.
- Place the batteries and make sure that they both work on the transmitter and the collar.
- Make sure that both work before putting the collar on your dog. Always place it in low power and lower settings when putting it.
- Attach the collar to your dog, making sure the prongs make contact with his skin. Make sure these do not feel uncomfortable on your pet.
- Do not use the collar right away. Allow at least a week before you start training.
- Begin with the lowest setting and observe your dog when you activate it. If the dog does not respond to it, move to the next level until you get a response.
- Start with commands he already knows. For example, tell him to sit. If he is not paying attention, press the button on the transmitter and repeat.
- Praise your dog when he obeys your commands.
In Dogalize we have many resources on how to best take care and train your dog. Visit us and check out all the awesome resources we have for you.